Want a job in marketing, but you don’t know how to obtain one? I have good news for you. You came to the right blog!
Let’s first start by stating the steps of how to obtain a job, then we will go into more detail for each.
- Know the Job Title That You Are Going After
- Find Companies That Are Hiring via LinkedIn
- Make Connections
Do you know yet what job title you are going after? If you don’t, try doing some research through a job site.
Here are a few examples of some job sites:
When you get to the site, type in “marketing jobs,” and then type in the location you wish to work in.
Once you see a job title or company that may interest you, click on it, and read the job description. If the job description is something that you may enjoy doing and you fit all of the required qualifications for the job, then you are ready for step 2.
However, if you review the job descriptions, and it doesn’t sound like the job for you, then continue reading about other jobs until you find a job title that you like.
Congrats! You completed the first step and have figured out the job title that you are going after.
For the second step, you will need access to your LinkedIn account. LinkedIn allows you to research companies that are hiring for individuals like yourself!
There are multiple ways that you can continue on your job hunt via LinkedIn. You can do so through your computer in desktop view or by using your phone. Isn’t technology just awesome?
Here’s how you do it in desktop view:
- Log in to your LinkedIn account
- At the top of the page, select the “Jobs” button under the search bar
- Type in the job title that you are searching for as well as the location
Here’s another way you can do it in desktop view:
- Type your chosen job title in the LinkedIn search bar
- Read through all the jobs that pop up
- On the left side of the page, you can select specifics to help narrow down your search
LinkedIn job search through your phone: (This is from an iPhone perspective).
- Download the app, “LinkedIn Jobs”
- Connect it to your LinkedIn account
- In the search section, type the job title or keyword
- Then select your location
- Click search
- In the top right corner, you can select the filter button to narrow down your search
- You can also enable the job alert button to be alerted every time a company is hiring for your selected job title
You can also search through the LinkedIn phone app by using the search bar.
Once you find companies that are hiring, research what industry they are in. You can click on the company’s name to learn more about them. In fact, I encourage you to do this. Researching companies will help you get a feel of what the company is about, and if this is a company that you would like to work for.
Do not, I repeat, do NOT skip this step. Making connections will make all the difference when you apply for a job. In today’s society, everything is about networking. If you don’t make any connections, you won’t get very far. Networking is extremely important and it comes with a lot of benefits. In fact, you have a far better chance of getting a job if you have connections within the company that you are applying for.
If you connect with people who work in these companies prior to you applying, they may be willing to give you a recommendation, which would really increase your odds of landing that dream job.
So, Why do you need to network? The answer is simple. You need to network with other people in order to get a job.
What if you already have a job? Networking with others can still be beneficial to you too! You might network with someone, and they may be able to help open another career opportunity for you. Networking with people may even help you advance in your career.
There really aren’t any disadvantages to networking. The more you connect with, the better!
To learn more about jobs in marketing, check out the list below.
- Marketing Research
- Advertising and Promotions
- Retail Marketing
- Brand Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Sports Marketing
- Healthcare Marketing
Happy job hunting!